As plans were being made for the first Assembly of the World Council of Churches in 1948, regional councils were being formed around the world. On June 1947, the Lord Bishop of Adelaide, Rt Rev’d Bryan Robin (Church of England) preside over the formation of the Regional Committee for SA of the World Council of Churches. Their main objective was “to represent South Australia in the World Council of Churches and to function as an integral part of the Ecumenical Movement”. The Rev’d Louis Schmidt, Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of SA was appointed Secretary.
Church of England 9, Methodist 5, Baptist 2, Churches of Christ 2, Congregational 2, Presbyterian 2, Salvation Army 1, Society of Friends 1. Every member was appointed to one of the two committees – Faith & Order, or Life & Work. The Lutheran Church was represented at meetings by a visitor Rev Dr JJ Sotlz (UELCA). Reps were male and clergy. Meetings were held in the Epworth Building, Pirie Street. From the beginning the Council addressed issues such as ecumenism, faith, communism, aid to displaced persons following World War 2, refugee and immigration with direct correspondence to the Federal government on enforced repatriation and settlement by Japanese in Australia.